“Mold”, especially "Black Mold" may be one of the most dreaded phrases to a homeowner.

Beware the black mold hype. It's a sales pitch based on fear, often accompanied by inferior abilities and practices on the part of a mold remediation or inspection company.

Mold should not be ignored, not at all. It's just that homeowners should simply be concerned if they have mold, and not worry about what type it is.

Its a given, indoor mold is unhealthy and if left unchecked will often get worse over time and can make virtually anyone sick. How sick depends on the individual, and sometimes the extent of the mold growth.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, however, says mold exposure does not always present a problem. However, some people are sensitive to molds and, for them, it is a problem.

The Canadian Centre for Occupational Health and Safety website states that the presence of mold does not always means that health problems will occur. However, for some people the inhalation of the mold, fragments of the moulds, or spores can lead to health problems or make certain health conditions worse.

National Collaborating Centre for Environmental Health (NCCEH) states that it is not possible to set guidelines based on levels of exposure at which effects will or will not occur, as a reliable quantitative relationship between mold exposure and health has not been established.

Having mentioned the above, it is not advisable to ignore the risks of exposure of mold. NCCEH also states that there is sufficient evidence for association between exposure to mold and
- Asthma exacerbation
- Current asthma
- Asthma development
- Upper respiratory tract symptoms
- Cough, wheeze
- Hypersensitivity pneumonitis in susceptible people
- Dyspnea (shortness of breath)
- Respiratory infections
- Bronchitis
- Eczema

Don't panic if you see mold or if the house smells musty. Hire a trustworthy and experienced company that can diagnose and track causes of a mold infestation, and recommend solutions to avoid a recurrence of mold.

Cleaning and removing mold should be the last item to tackle, not the first.