How can I prevent mold?
It may surprise you, but mold can grow even in the absence of water leaks. Condensation, frequently overlooked, is a major contributor to mold. Leaks and condensation should both be addressed to avoid mold.
Mold needs four things to grow.
- Spores - These are everywhere.
- Food - Mold prefers organic things like bread, wood, etc.
- Temperature - Mold prefers temperatures that we humans find comfortable too.
- Moisture - Mold thrives well in a humid environment.
You can control #4 only!
- Preventing leaks and high humidity will address mold issues, to a great extent.
- Ventilate your living space as much as, and as frequently as possible because that will drive out excessive moisture.
- Keep relative humidity levels below 50% and you may never see mold.